Happy Single Mother’s Day

There are countless cards, poems, quotes and memes that pay tribute to the wonders and worries of being a mom. I am not here to re-invent the wheel. I am here to shine a light on the women who sail these oftentimes stormy seas alone, without a first mate – The Single Mom.

I have been a single mom since my children were very young, and by single, I mean completely. There were no every other weekends or monthly child support. Do I deserve a prize? Not at all. I used poor judgment and decision making skills and my children paid the price. I often regret the circumstances surrounding their childhood. There is plenty of blame to go around, but I bear some of the responsibility. I really never knew any other way and looking back, I am extremely thankful for the lessons.

I had a great support system and that was my saving grace. My parents had my back from day one until their last day on earth. As a grandmother today, helping with my own grandson, there are times when I shake my head and wonder how my mom did it. An endless supply of love and southern grit is the only thing I can come up with. She never let me down. But I know there are thousands of single moms out there who do not have that support. Their struggles are many and frustration and depression are widespread.

For those of you today who feel forgotten, dismissed, insignificant, lost, under-valued, exhausted, lonely and maybe not even knowing for sure where next month’s rent will be found…here is my 
SHOUT OUT to you! (And what your kids will tell you one day!)

THANK YOU for never giving up, even when you wanted to.

THANK YOU for the sleepless nights rocking, crying, praying and watching.

THANK YOU for every doctor appointment, school function, teacher conference.

THANK YOU for helping with all the homework (even though you always hated math).

THANK YOU for fixing all the meals (even though some were peanut butter and jelly, grilled cheese or Ramen Noodles; and maybe you didn’t get to eat at all).

THANK YOU for doing all the laundry (even the stuff stained beyond repair with Kool-Aid, ketchup, markers or even blood).

THANK YOU for being Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy (even when it meant you had to do without).

THANK YOU for putting the band-aid on the knee when the bike was wrecked, and then fixing the bike.

THANK YOU for teaching your daughters how to respect themselves.

THANK YOU for teaching your sons to respect someone’s daughter.

I know there are days when you think there is never “enough”; that you are never “enough”. Believe me when I say….YOU ARE!

When all is said and done children need much less for survival than commercials and social media would have us believe. The one thing that money cannot buy and no one else can ever provide is YOUR LOVE. That came in an endless supply on the first moment you held that baby in your arms. 
Did you feel it that strongly every day? Maybe not. We are only human and have our breaking points, but if you are reading this, then I believe in your eternal well of love that will always protect and nurture your children.

Single Moms rarely get the attention or recognition they deserve on Mother’s Day. Most never wanted, nor imagined, this path. If you are a single mom, I hope these few words have helped make this day a little less frustrating. If you know a single mom, call/text/email her today and let her know she is doing a great job and you are very proud. You may be the only person who acknowledges her today. Do not miss the opportunity to sow that seed of joy.

To ALL the moms, I want to say a heartfelt and huge HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY! I am blessed to have had an amazing mom and I am now so proud to watch the awesome mothers that my daughters are becoming.

Today is a day to celebrate US!

Hope With Abandon

Hope Out


www.hopeboulevard.com 

1 comment:

  1. I will like to use this platform to share my experience although the story is quit long i will try to be brief. My husband and i have been married for Four years now, we have been doing relatively fine although is mother doesn't like me,she has been trying to separate us ever since we got married. Out of the blue my husband started acting weird, he doesn't eat home anymore nor relate with or play with our son. He came home one fateful day and said he wanted a divorce, i was so heart broken and confused i didn't know what to do. I was surfing through the net one faithful day and i came across an article about how to cope with divorce and all that. after reading it someone commented on how she was helped by a spiritualist/spell castor who helped her in saving her marriage, she dropped the spell caster email address so i decided to contact him. He promised to help me in getting my husband to love me like before and he promised me that he wouldn't want the divorce once he is done with the spell. surprisingly he made it happened and i didn't spent much. All i am trying to say is sometimes we need a little help in keeping the ones we love, i am not ashamed of what i did plus it doesn't have a negative effect on him.
    If you need this spiritualist help in saving your marriage you can contact him on his email address nakodako@outlook.com
    he can help in any form of relationship distress.

    ReplyDelete

Are You Looking For Excuses Or Solutions (We Find What We Search For)

Excuses are like pennies you find on the floor. Easy to spot and pretty much anywhere, but not really helpful in the grand scheme of things....